February 9, 2018

Elena Lawrence

Our presenter for February Third Thursday (Thursday, Feb. 15, 5:30-7:30 at SSC) will be Elena Lawrence:

She will discuss 'negative painting' among other things. See you there!




Elena Lawrence

Artist Statement

Niches--Fall 2017



I used to go to the art supply store and head straight for the watercolor section. I was content in learning and using one medium. Watercolor travels easily with me on my outings and can also be more serious in the studio. This was my niche. This world then changed when I began learning new techniques and breaking the rules I had known. I now have a studio where there is space dedicated to watercolor, an easel for oil painting, bins with acrylic and a table for encaustic. I have spray paint, inks, sandpaper, and collections of different papers for mixed media. I’m no longer content with just one way to create art. I can’t stay with one medium for very long and I try different combinations with almost every new panel. Many artists are known for their one type of look and their use of their brushstrokes, color, and theme. But the more I explore, the more I realize there is more than one way to be an artist.



Since my childhood I’ve been drawn to trees and capturing the landscape. My favorite place to run away to was the high tree branches where I could look down at the world and watch from a hiding place. It was quiet and I was safe. With all the new technology taking up all our time, I need a place to run away to again, as an adult. I would rather be exploring on a beach, walking on a trail, or where life is simpler and the air is clean. Along with landscapes I’ve also loved drawing, painting portraits, still life, and abstract. Some have asked, “What’s your favorite?” and I reply, “Whichever is currently on my easel”. Some days I’m in the mood for a nice, tranquil watercolor and other days I want to go crazy and make a mess. I love to create. It’s my new escape.



Each of my projects has a different feel, each medium has their day. This is how I found my Niches.








No comments:

Post a Comment